On the Subject of Beauty

Jen Kiaba wrote (another) wonderful post yesterday where she asked: “How do we define beauty in our daily lives? How do we define beauty in ourselves?

She continues: “Today we are so inundated with false ideals of beauty that aren't attainable. Even the people who are represented in these idealized forms don't actually conform to the ideal.

I agree to it all. I truly think beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.
“Beauty in things exists merely in the mind which contemplates them." (David Hume)

I also know that people who are at peace with themselves, with what they are, often times shine. They are beautiful and “attractive”.

So when Jen asked: “Do you feel beautiful?" at the end of her post, I thought I would comment right away. But I simply could. Not.

The truth is I can not honestly say I feel beautiful. And I hate being photographed. I think I have some “interesting” features, and I like “parts” of me, parts of who I am. But beautiful...? Shining through? Nope.

So what does this tells me?

  • That I have double-standards as I tend to be more critical of myself than of others.
  • That I still have a lot of work to do on myself!
  • That I should take pictures of myself or have someone take pictures of me more often. Habituation plays a large part on how we perceive things and beauty.
  • That I unfortunately carry with me some of the clichés of beauty even if I don’t want to:(
Beauty, like supreme dominion
Is but supported by opinion (Benjamin Franklin)

Jen is right when she writes: “But I do think it would behoove us to ever so slightly begin to redefine what we consider to be beautiful - and how we perceive beauty within ourselves.”

I more deeply realized that yesterday and did not wait to start. Thank you Jen.

My turn now to ask you: Do feel beautiful? I truly hope you do:)


Patricia

--

Comments

  1. Belief is a big part of beauty, I think. I have my moments, I have features that I think are my best. But I think that if I don't have the confidence in myself to see that beauty that it is hard. I think that we are all so beautiful. We are formed of the same parts but each is so individual and that is what makes us beautiful. But it really needs to shine from the inside. There are people in the world that have been given the name Beauty but they lack an inner spark. I agree about needing more pictures taken of me. I can honestly say that it doesn't happen very often. And my head shot was taken 2 years ago. Do I still look the same? Perhaps. Thank you for opening up about this subject and for giving me something to think about today.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard question - I think some days it is hard to feel that way, but your post reminded me to be more gentle to myself sometimes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! I sure do appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your words and thoughts:)

Popular Posts