Thursday Feature: Color your World in Mosaics

Mosaic is the art of creating images with an assemblage of small pieces of colored glass, stone, or other material. It may be a technique of decorative art, an aspect of interior decoration or of cultural and spiritual significance as in a cathedral.

Mosaics of the 4th century BC were found in the Macedonian palace-city of Aegae and they enriched the floors of Hellenistic villas, and Roman dwellings from Britain to Dura-Europos. Splendid mosaic floors are found in Roman villas across north Africa, in places such as Carthage, and still may be seen in the extensive collection in Bardo Museus in Tunis, Tunisia.

Christine Burgess has been working with mosaics of some kind for nearly 8 years now. Her favorite is with the broken dish tiles: “I just love to take something that was once a beautiful dish or cup and give it new life. It is so rewarding to create something from basically nothing.”Her business is called Memories in Mosaics. It captures the idea of having all your favorite keepsakes preserved in one piece that you can view every day.


“I create my designs using broken vintage and contemporary dish tiles, but I like to add gems, jewelry, beads and any other odds and ends I find to give each of my pieces it's own character. After I have placed each piece and adhered it to the base I grout with a color that I hope will compliment the overall design. When it has dried and had the initial cleaning I go over each tile with a toothpick to make sure it is clean and free of any leftover residue. It takes many hours to complete each one, but the feeling I get when it is completed is well worth it.”

Treat yourself and have a look at Christine's Etsy shop, Memories in Mosaics. Needless to say everything you see in her shop is one-of-a-kind piece. Custom work is also available.

Enjoy:)

Comments

  1. How very nice of you to do an article on my work. I appreciate it. Lovely blog you have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! I sure do appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your words and thoughts:)

Popular Posts